
Mom and I traveled with some great families! Our group consisted of 4 families total. I was the only first time mom and the only single chick in our party. Everyone was friendly and they made my experience in Africa better. It was somewhat of a relief to know that my fears were their fears too. This group of people seem like an extended part of my family with what we all experienced together.

This was taken on the way to Awassa. You can't tell from the picture, but all of the restaurants had an open patio area shaded by what I can only describe as draped sheets. It was always great to eat outside. Also there weren't any bugs to deal with which I found bizarre because here in Oklahoma you can say, "Patio Dining" and find 10 flies instantly buzzing around your head.

This is a pic from the leaky boat we rode in to see the hippos! I am taking the photo, and later during our excursion, one of the guides switched places with me to scoop out water from our "safe from the people-hungry hippo" boat. Look how pretty the scenery is in the background. Everything around Lake Awassa was green and fertile.

The largest outdoor market in all of Africa is the Mercado and it's in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. The men in green are our body guards. It cost us 300 birr for their services and they led us through the market. I am not a easily fearful person and I was very thankful for their presence. One guy even got to jab his club in a person's side for spitting on Lindsay's shoe! Mom bought a beautiful hand made injera basket and I bought a self strung musical instrument to hang on Marren's wall.

This is everyone: Nannies, the orphanage director, AA staff, the nurse! A nanny is holding Marren. The afternoon we spent at Enat Alem was a great afternoon!


No comments:
Post a Comment